Apple Shrub Cocktail
In partnership with Miguel Buencamino (@holycityhandcraft).
Best For: SippingPrep Time: 5 minutes + 24-48 hours for shrub syrup
Apple Shrub Syrup
- 2 lb. Fuji, Gala, or Rave® apples (about 6 apples), diced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large cinnamon sticks
- 1 oz. gin
- 1½ oz. Cognac
- 1 oz. homemade Apple Shrub Syrup (you can purchase shrub syrups, although they’re hard to find at grocery stores; check your local farmer's market!)
- ½ oz. fresh lemon juice
- 3 oz. soda water
- Optional: apple slices and cinnamon stick
DirectionsApple Shrub Syrup
- Combine ingredients in a non-reactive mixing bowl (ceramic, glass, or enamel-coated metal). Cover with plastic wrap and let sit at room temperature for 24-48 hours, gently stirring every 12 hours.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve into a glass container. If you prefer a more refined syrup, strain again through a coffee filter.
- Add 1 oz. of gin to fortify the syrup. Shake to incorporate.
- Store in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 1 month.
- Combine Cognac, apple shrub syrup, and lemon juice to a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously for 10 seconds.
- Strain and pour over a chilled Cognac glass with ice. Top with soda water and garnish with cinnamon stick stirrer and fresh apple slices.