Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 35-40 minutes
Yield: ~6 donuts
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into bite-sized pieces (we recommend Cortland, Macoun, Red Delicious, and McIntosh)
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1-1½ Tbsp water
- ½ tsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- Optional: ½ tsp maple syrup
- ½ cup homemade applesauce
- 1 Tbsp flax meal
- 2½ Tbsp warm water
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- ½ cup plant-based milk of choice
- Add applesauce ingredients to a small saucepan and cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until mixture simmers.
- Reduce heat to low and cook until the apples are tender and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. Stir frequently to avoid burning.
- Blend sauce in a food processor or mash for a chunkier texture. Let cool at room temperature or in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 400º F. Coat a donut tray with non-stick spray.
- Whisk together flax meal and warm water to make flax egg. Set aside until a gel-like consistency forms.
- Combine donut ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir until incorporated. The batter will be slightly lumpy.
- Using a piping bag or spoon, fill each donut mold about ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 14-16 minutes. Toss in cinnamon sugar if desired before serving warm.