Braided Apple & Cheese Danish
by Caroline Fey, chef, culinary consultant, and cooking school instructor. Learn more at carolinefey.com and @carolinefey.
Best For: Breakfast, Dessert, Snacking
Prep Time: 15
Bake Time: 20-25 minutes
- 1 sheet of store-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 2 apples, thinly sliced (we recommend Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, SnapDragon®, or SweeTango®)
- 4 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup powdered sugar, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Mix the cream cheese, powdered sugar, and vanilla together until well blended. Set aside.
- Place the puff pastry in the center of a piece of parchment paper. Using a sharp knife, gently make marks to divide the puff pastry into thirds. Placing the tip of your knife at the 1/3 mark on the right side, cut (9) 1-in. strips outwards from the center, horizontally. Repeat on the left side. The middle third should be intact.
Assembly & Bake
- Spread the cream cheese mixture evenly on the center third of the puff pastry.
- Lay the apples over the cream cheese, pressing gently.
- With one strip at a time, fold each piece over and down, alternating sides, to create a braided effect.
- Whisk the egg with vanilla and a pinch of salt and brush over the braided loaf.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown, rotating half way through. Allow to cool before dusting with extra powdered sugar.