Cardamom & Ginger-Spiced Apple Galette
Best For: Dessert
Prep Time: 20 minutes + 2 hours chill time
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Yield: 4 galettes
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ sticks (12 Tbsp) unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- Ice water
- 1 RubyFrost® apple, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 Tbsp. fresh ginger, grated (substitute ¼ tsp ground ginger if needed)
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup raw brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp butter
- Whisk together flour, sugar, and salt in a large bowl. Add cubed butter and work quickly to smash butter into the flour until it resembles coarse sand. Add ice water, 1 Tbsp at a time, and continue mixing. Add ice water until the dough comes together. Roughly shape in a circle, cover with plastic wrap, and chill for at least 2 hours.
- About 10-15 minutes before you're ready to bake, preheat oven to 400º F. Toss together filling ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Once dough is chilled, cut into 4 evenly sized pieces. Roll out each chunk of dough into a rough circle, about ¼ in. thick.
- Arrange apple filling in the center of the dough, leaving ½ to 1 in. border. Fold the edges over the apples, then brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with raw sugar. Add a pat of butter (½ Tbsp) to the center of each galette.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown. Serve with vanilla ice cream and enjoy!