Yield: 25-30 apple bites
- 3-4 medium apples, cut crosswise (we like to use a few varieties to create different flavor profiles; try this with EverCrisp®, Gala, Honeycrisp, Pink Lady, or SnapDragon®)
- 1 store-bought rotisserie chicken
- 2-3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped (about ¼ cup)
- ½ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: ¼ cup roasted pecans, chopped; fresh herbs, finely minced; curry powder to taste
- Remove skin from rotisserie chicken and pull breast, wing, and leg meat away from the bones. Shred. This yields about 3 cups of chicken.
- In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, mustard, salt, pepper, and optional herbs or curry powder. Toss in chicken, celery, shallot, dried cranberries, and optional pecans.
- Slice apples crosswise and remove seeds. Line slices on a serving platter and rub lemon juice over top to prevent browning. You can skip this step if you're using EverCrisp®, which is slow to brown!
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of chicken salad onto each apple slice. If you're making ahead of time, cover prepared slices with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 2 hours.