Our new motto: “An apple a day, be it cocktail or canapé.”
Best For: Appetizers, Dinner
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 Fuji apple, peeled and quartered (save peels for later)
- 1 ½ lbs. ground chicken (preferably thighs or dark meat)
- 2 slices of thick cut bacon
- 1 small white or yellow onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp ground fennel seed
- 1 tsp ground celery seed
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (sub rice crumbs to make gluten-free)
- 1 egg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fuji peels
- ½ Fuji apple, chopped
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- In a large food processor, add Fuji apple, bacon, onion, and garlic cloves. Pulse until minced.
- In a large bowl, combine minced mixture, ground chicken, spices, half of the panko breadcrumbs, and egg. Fold until everything is incorporated. (Do not over-mix as this will make a tough meatball.)
- Using a mini cookie scoop, portion out meatballs. The number of meatballs will vary with the size of scoop you use.
- Bake meatballs in a single layer on a greased cookie sheet for 15-20 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, add apple peels, chopped apples, brown sugar, spices, dijon, ketchup, and soy sauce. Stir over medium heat until sauce bubbles, about 3-5 minutes. Add bourbon of choice and cook down for an additional 5-8 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix 1 Tbsp water with cornstarch to create a slurry. Add slurry to glaze mixture to thicken. Simmer for an additional 8 minutes, then remove from heat. Strain glaze through a sieve and return to saucepan.
- Add about ¼ cup of water to glaze to thin slightly. Finish with butter, salt, and pepper.
- Brush sauce over meatballs and serve on a skewer.