Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- 1½ cup cornmeal
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 2 McIntosh apples, peeled and diced into ¼ in. chunks
- Preheat oven to 400º F.
- Add dry ingredients to a bowl and mix.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat together maple syrup, olive oil, soy milk, lemon juice, and eggs until combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to the wet, stirring to combine. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Fold diced apple into the batter.
- Grease a 12 in. cast iron skillet with 1-2 Tbsp of olive oil, making sure to coat bottom and sides evenly. Heat skillet in the oven for 5-10 minutes or until hot.
- Pour batter into the hot skillet, then carefully return to the oven.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then slice into 12-16 slices. Best served warm with a pat of butter and a drizzle of maple syrup.