Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Yield: 24 pancakes
Spiced Apple Topping
- 4 cups SweeTango® apples (about 3 apples), peeled and finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup light or dark brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup water
- Optional: ¼ tsp ground nutmeg and/or ¼ tsp ground clove
- 1 cup SweeTango® apples (about 1 apple), peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large egg, separated
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for cooking
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1¼ cup milk of choice
- 1⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
DirectionsSpiced Apple Topping
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add SweeTango® apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and water.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples have softened and the mixture has a jam-like consistency (about 10-15 minutes).
- Set aside (can be served hot or at room temperature and will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days).
- In a large mixing bowl, sift or whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolk, vanilla, milk, and melted butter.
- In a third bowl, beat egg white just until stiff peaks form.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in apples, then gently fold in egg whites, taking care not to over-mix.
- Melt 1 Tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour ¼ cup batter for each pancake. Flip after 1-2 minutes, or until bubbles appear on the uncooked side. Continue cooking for 2 minutes, or until both sides are lightly golden brown. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more batter and adjusting the pan heat as needed.
- Top with spiced apples and maple syrup if desired.