In partnership with Yes! Apples Ambassador, Josh Lehenbauer (@joshisbaking).
T his apple and goat cheese tart with fig jam (topped with thyme, honey, and crushed pistachios) is the perfect appetizer for any gathering! Bake it up as one large tart, then slice and serve however you’d like.
Best For: Appetizers
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Yield: (1) 10 in. x 12 in. tart
- 1 sheet store-bought puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 cup fig jam
- 2 large Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced (¼ in. thick slices)
- 4 oz. crumbled goat cheese
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves, removed from stem
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- ½ Tbsp honey
- ¼ cup shelled pistachios, crushed
- Preheat oven to 400º F with the rack in the upper-thirds position. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out puff pastry to a 10 in. x 12 in. rectangle. Place on baking sheet and use a fork to poke wholes all over the pastry so steam can escape.
- Brush a 1 in. border with egg wash, creating a crust.
- Spread fig jam evenly within the border, then top with crumbled goat cheese and apple slices. I worked with groups of 4 slices, fanned out, in 4 columns by 3 rows.
- Sprinkle thyme and granulated sugar over the entire pastry (including crust).
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the crust is dark golden. Rotate the pan halfway through for even browning.
- Immediately after pulling the tart from the oven, drizzle with honey and sprinkle pistachios on top. Cut into as many slices as you'd like. Best enjoyed the same day.