- 10 medium apples, quartered (we recommend using 5 McIntosh + 5 SnapDragon® for a balance of sweet and tart)
- 1 orange, quartered
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 Tbsp whole cloves
- 1 tsp whole allspice
- 1 whole nutmeg
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- Optional additions: 1-inch piece of fresh ginger and/or 1-inch piece of fresh turmeric root
- In a large stockpot over medium heat, add apples, oranges, spices, and brown sugar. Add enough water to cover ingredients, plus an additional 2 inches.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Remove orange halves, then use a potato masher or wooden spoon to break down the apples. Return to heat and let simmer uncovered for an additional hour. (The longer you simmer, the stronger the flavors will be and the less liquid you'll be left with.)
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pressing solids with a wooden spoon to squeeze all remaining juices out. Discard solids.
- Serve warm and garnish with a cinnamon stick and slice of apple.