Best For: Sides
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Pickling Time: at least 1 hour
- 4 cups Empire or Pink Lady apples, thinly sliced width-wise
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp pickling spice
- Optional: sliced red chilis, star anise pods, whole mustard seeds, whole black peppercorns, or cinnamon sticks
- Heat a medium saucepan over low. Whisk in water, apple cider vinegar, salt, sugar, and pickling spice. Bring liquid to a low boil, then simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Remove liquid from heat and cool slightly.
- Layer apple slices in a jar and top with optional add-ins.
- Fill jar with warm liquid and seal tightly.
- Let sit for at least 1 hour. Leave in fridge overnight for a stronger flavor.