In partnership with Christy Wilson (@christywilsonnutrition).
This stovetop recipe is ready in no time and tastes just as great as a baked apple crisp (plus, it’s lighter in fat and total calories!).
Best For: Dessert
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 3 Fuji or Gala apples, cored and diced into ¼ in. cubes
- 2 Tbsp apple juice
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 Tbsp light brown sugar, packed
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus more for dusting
- ¼ tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup dried cherries
- 1 cup granola
- Optional: vanilla ice cream
- In a small bowl, combine apple juice and cornstarch. Whisk until dissolved.
- In a medium bowl, combine diced apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice. Mix until apples are coated, then pour cornstarch slurry over apples and stir to combine.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter to coat skillet. Heat until butter is melted, but not browned, then add apple mixture.
- Cook and stir constantly until apples are brown, but not mushy, about 5 minutes.
- Add cranberries and cherries to the apples and stir to combine and heat through.
- Spread all fruit evenly in the pan, then top with granola. Reduce heat to low.
- Flatten fruit and granola with the back of a wooden spoon, then cover pan and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a scoop of ice cream. Top with a sprinkle of cinnamon.